Wednesday, August 18, 2010

WIP Shire Drafter Dragon CM: We Have Wings!


Or the start of them, that is.  

This is how the Shire Drafter looked last time I posted his update. 


He's been bulked out a bit more, got his head back, 
found a tail, and the start of the wings.



The wings are nearly 10 inches long on the top side. I wanted them stretched out, but they would make the sculpt almost *too* big, so I am going to fold them in some. 

Plus, why would he be walking with wings completely outstretched? Halfway to fully folded  would be more realistic, plus the way the tail ended up curled up to the side like that, that side almost needs to be folded up because the tail gets in the way. 


The picture I had in my head of the tail was of a wing-like appendage on the very end of the tail, kind of like a rudder, but it ended up being more of a peace symbol? 

I'm sure once I fill it in it will look more like what I envisioned. 



The tail, in progress. It needs more bulking out, but I am not sure what I'm going to do with the back yet, and what kind of scales I want. 

I am using a combination of Amazing Sculpt and Creative Paperclay for him. The majority of the bulking out is being done with the paperclay. The fine details, and anything that needs to be stronger, is being done in Amazing Sculpt. The fork in the tail, the bond between the head and neck, and a few other places are Amazing Sculpt. The rest is the paperclay. 

The wing bones will be Amazing Sculpt, and for the wing itself? I'm actually thinking of using cheesecloth glued to the wire before covering it with the A.S, but then I would have to sculpt the bones on the top and bottom separately - not sure If I want to do that. 


His head doesn't 'fit' the rest of him just yet, haha. He looks sweet and kind, and still rather horse-like with his old head. If you look closely under his ear  you'll see a small hole, thats where the horns will be placed, eventually. The entire head will end up covered and re-sculpted as well, but I didn't want to do it off of the body because I needed a sense of scale and appropriate size. 

No comments:

Post a Comment